Subject: Re: flashing recorder v2

Re: flashing recorder v2

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:45:04 +0100 (MET)

> Ok, now I'm confused. I downloaded the latest daily build, wrote the
files to my
> Archos (overwriting the 2.1 ajbrec.ajz file) and rebooted it. I ended up
in what
> was clearly the newer version of Rockbox, as a number of the menus and
options
> were different. I ran the firmware_flash plugin which ran successfully,
and
>rebooted once more. Rockbox came up almost instantly which is great, but
upon
> a bit of usage, it seems to have been flashed to version 2.1, all the
menus and
> options are back to the way they were when I loaded 2.1 from the HD.
> Shouldn't it have flashed to whatever version the daily build was?

No, it has flashed your whole flash content with what's in the file
"firmware_v2.bin" (like the plugin told). It contains a bootloader and two software
images: Archos and Rockbox 2.1. This is independent of what Rockbox version
you were running to start the plugin.

This process is needed only once, from now on you're free to decide which
Rockbox version you'd like to have in the second image. You can change it
practically risk-free anytime you want, backwards and forward, by "playing" the
.ucl file of choice.

Jörg