Subject: Re: Universal Charger for my A. JB6000

Re: Universal Charger for my A. JB6000

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:46:24 +0000

>Hello the list!
>
>I bought several days ago a 500mA universal charger for my AJB6000. The
>thing is
>i'm not really sure it'll fit for my player.
>I went on irc and I read the FAQ about batteries and charger, but I didn't
>really get the answer about whether this charger will destroy whatever is
>inside
>my player or not.
>
>I know my problem isn't stricly related to rockbox, but you guys have
>surely the
>answer I can't get from archos support ..
>
>Any help would be appreciate,
>and a big thanks for your firmware !

We're not stricly Rockbox here, we are always open to help related problems
...such as powering the chips that will run our code :-)

The current MUST be DC and the polarity MUST be POSITIVE (ie. the + is in
the middle) or brace for that lovely smell of flux and chip glue.

My official one is rated at 600mA (SIX HUNDRED), so 500 may not cut it
...the psu may get very hot and burn out ...If the PSU does melt, then they
tend to throw out a big jolt as they die, killing whatever is connected to
them ...however, I would be amazed if it took more than 1/2 Amp to run a
jukebox, so maybe you will be okay ...personally I am paranoid, so I would
buy a bigger PSU to be on the safe side.