Subject: Re: Another possible candidate for expansion of Rockbox?

Re: Another possible candidate for expansion of Rockbox?

From: Fred Maxwell <rockbox_at_anti-spam.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:59:03 -0500

Joseph Jones wrote:

> I would say iPod's redeeming features are Firewire and ucLinux being
> able to run on it (to some extent).

The ability to run Linux on an iPod is not a redeeming feature -- unless
doing so answers some particular need, and I see no evidence of that.
It certainly won't improve on the existing UI. It won't make the device
easier to use. It won't make it more reliable.

As an embedded systems engineer, I know that Linux is a tremendously bad
choice as an OS on a portable music player. That's what real-time OSs
like VRTX, AMX, and pSOS are for.

Saying that the iPod's ability to run Linux is a redeeming feature is
analogous to saying that a redeeming feature of your dog is that he's
willing to let you cover him in lard. Okay, so how does that improve
the dog?

Regards,
   Fred Maxwell