Subject: Re: Another possible candidate for expansion of Rockbox?

Re: Another possible candidate for expansion of Rockbox?

From: Fred Maxwell <rockbox_at_anti-spam.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 11:36:53 -0500

eD\/ARd0 F/\KEn^M3 wrote:

> My experience with embedded systems is almost zero so I don't have the nerve
> to disagree with you but I would be curious to know your thoughts on ITRON
>
> http://www.linuxinsider.com/perl/story/31855.html

Thanks for pointing out the article. It was an interesting read, though
TRON is not an embedded OS that I've personally worked with. It might
be a great choice for the OS in a device like an iPod or an Archos and
could lead to easier portability of a Rockbox-like project.

An open-source, unencumbered music player OS based on something like
TRON could encourage more companies, especially smaller ones, to release
players. The reduction in software-related NRE (Non-Recurring
Engineering) costs would make release of players practical for many
firms that are unwilling/unable to start from scratch to create a music
player OS.

> It's probably the most widely used OS in the world and it's open source.
> BTW, this article does support your argument about Linux versions a 'REAL'
> RTOS.

 From the article:

"TRON is an RTOS; Linux isn't," Searle told LinuxInsider, adding that
ITRON has a smaller footprint and superior real-time performance."

Obviously, I agree about the Linux part. Linux is a tool in the
software engineer's toolbox and it's a great tool for certain purposes.
  But, using it as an RTOS, is like driving screws with a hammer.

Regards,
   Fred Maxwell