Subject: Re: 8Mb chip

Re: 8Mb chip

From: Andre Roessel <RCS-Technik_at_t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:49:35 +0100

> >Thanks dude! 15 to 30% more run time does not make it worth it for
> >me. You would think that 6 megs additional ram would greatly
> >increase the run time eh?
>
> Regardless of how much total RAM is available, the same amount of data
> still needs to be loaded to play any particular song. What additional
> RAM does is allow more data to be loaded at one time, so all you're
> really saving on is the extra spin up times which the smaller amount
> of RAM requires. Also, and I'm not sure of the impact it has, but
> more RAM requires more power to keep refreshed.
There is one more fact to be considered. I always use the Archos to listen to before
falling to sleep. It is disturbing to have the disk spin up every 2 minutes. You (and your
partner) can hear it even through the sound of the earphones when turned a bit down. It
would be nice to have these spinups reduced to every 8 minutes or longer with 8MB
RAM. It would take only some seconds more to load 8MB instead of 2 I think, so this
would be not a problem at all. Spin up takes much longer then reading some MB. And I
remember having heard that spinning up and down is very big stress for a hard drive.

Andre.