Subject: RE: Equalising "Problem"

RE: Equalising "Problem"

From: Gerrit Van Vranken <lists_at_vanvranken.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:49:59 -0500

 My less sarcastic answer ...

>Mixing is how the instruments and vocals are positioned in a multi-channel
recording.

True, However Mixing, reverb (and other effects) and EQ are all required for
this to occur. Record a Piano with an accoustic bass and don't EQ it.
Unless you pan them hard, you won't be able to find them. Panning (what I
assume you mean by "mixing") is the horizontal position of a sound. EQ
creates a vertical position and effects usually create the z axis.

>Seldom are commercial recordings released with eqaulization to compensate
for assumed
>strengths or weaknesses of listeners' systems (though that was done by
Elvis, who
>listened on an AM radio because that's what most of his listeners owned).
If one were to
>EQ a recording to compensate for the substandard sound of most boom-boxes,
it would be
>unlistenable on a high-end system. And, after paying many thousands of
dollars to
>construct such a system, I'd be pretty pissed off to buy such a recording.

Not a SPECIFIC listener's system, but when you mix, you listen to your
result on all different types of systems to make sure it does sound OK on
everything. You can't eq for a high end system either. I'd be pissed if I
bought a CD that I couldn't listen to in my car.

Guess I wasn't clear. Sorry