Subject: Re: Faster Disk Access and Power usage

Re: Faster Disk Access and Power usage

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:40:07 +0100 (MET)

> I have been playing with the sources and made my own personal build, I am
> still struggling to work out the correct usage for Diff and Patch on a
> windows PC, but will continue to experiment with that over the next few
> days. Can anyone recommend a good text editor that won't stick CRLF in
> every time I change something?

UltraEdit is very popular, but not free.

> I do, however, have a couple of questions.
> In my own build, I have re-enabled the faster disk access. When I
> synchronised with my PC today, I got 5.5 MB/Sec - I have only been getting
> 3.5 to 4 MB/Sec previously. are these two factors related - or has
> something else changed?

Are you talking about USB access to the disk? This should be unaffected by
whatever we do in our software.

> Secondly, recently there have been a number of "Potential Power Saving"
> type modifications, Faster DRAM, Faster Disc access etc, have any
> measurements or calculations been made on the typical current drawn in
> normal usage (i.e. is CURRENT_NORMAL still 145)?

It is very likely that the runtime has improved. After all, that's why we're
doing this. Especially if you enable the fast disk reading, this loads the
data in half the time! Less disk uptime, less power.

We have no fugures yet. It would be interesting if somebody tests the
runtime again, or has the equipment to measure a longer term average power
consumption.

Jörg