Subject: Re: Mp3 corruption?

Re: Mp3 corruption?

From: Jean Boullier <jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 05:15:52 +0100

The only "reasonable" explanation I can think of right now is a disk
caching problem. For example in Win95 there has been a time where the
shutdown could eventually switch off your PC before the disk cache had
been completely rewritten to disk. This has been fixed at some time.
Obviously people who might occasionally switch off their PC without
running the normal shutdown are exposed too, as well as people who would
disconnect their Archos without first detaching it properly (or
successfully) from the host PC.

A reason why this problem could hurt mp3 files more often than other
types of file is that mp3s are a typical target for massive operations
like copying, moving (e.g. between the PC and an mp3 player) or updating
(like massive tag updates). Also, because of their structure, the chance
that a corrupted mp3 file still be a valid mp3 file is quite high if you
have created most of them with the same software. Personally (I think) I
have never had this problem myself but I remember having got such files
via Kazaa sometimes. At this time I assumed that they had been created
this way on purpose by people against the mp3 sharing concept but maybe
there were simply accidents like yours.

Jean.