Subject: I'm Seeing RED

I'm Seeing RED

From: Scott Steinbrueck <ssteinbr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:24:50 -0500

First off, thanks to the entire Rockbox community. Great program, easy
to use. I bought my V2 (20 GB) recorder from Amazon about two weeks
ago. I'm loving it (most of the time) but have had several issues.
    The dreaded RLOD - My V2 has the Hitachi DK23DA20 hd. I've been
browsing through the lists and saw that this drive commonly has
problems. Every day on the 25 min commute I get about two freezes. The
  Red light is solid and the progress bar stops (NOT silent play).
During the 8 hour day when the jukebox sits on my desk it plays fine.
So...definitely movement related. Putting the jukebox in its carrying
case helps some but it still freezes occasionaly.
    When I get the RLOD, I turn off the jukebox, wait a minute, then
turn it back on. Usually it'll start back up at the Resume screen, but
I often get the ERROR ATA -1 PRESS ON TO DEBUG. After pressing ON, I
get the debug screen and all the values fluctuate for awhile. Turn it
off then back on, and it goes back to normal (at least until the next RLOD).
    Other random bugs... After the jukebox plays for some time I'll get
a blank screen. I can access menus but not the file directory. This
has only happened twice.
    So, please, anyone with any suggestions as to how I could fix this,
let me know. I'm not quite willing to replace the HD and I'd rather not
return the jukebox and get the disgustingly cute iPod.