Subject: Re: CeBit 2004

Re: CeBit 2004

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:50:23 +0100 (MET)

> as I tomorrow will visit the CeBIT at Hannover, what Do you say?
> Shall I go to Archos and show them Rockbox?
> In if yes: What do I have to show them?
> Do you have a real cool Video for me?

I'm at the show right now. Have been to the Archos booth, reaction was
moderate. Flashing didn't grip them, talking menus caused some attraction, video
the most.
I've spoken to their marketing manager, Remi Durand. He's aware of Rockbox
and the AV story. Let's see what evolves, they mentioned opening the platform
to some extent. But he also said the bad NDA word.
I've seen a prototype of a new product. Similar to the AV3x0, but with 1.8"
drive and much more slim. Looked like an IPAQ PDA and also has a touchscreen.
The battery is user-exchangeable, in a little compartment at the back. They
said they don't know yet what kind of product they will make from it.
Interesting to note that it was running Linux, mabe OPIE or so. He said this one
will probably be open, except for the A/V part. I asked for which CPU is in, but
they didn't disclose that info.
Other news is thas the Gmini will get a more powerful processor soon, to be
able to do DRM.
Their lead developers are also here today, but running around, not at the
Archos booth. Maybe I have a chance to catch them in the evening.

So far from the CeBIT,
Jörg