Subject: RE: low-tech ways to avoid polarity problems

RE: low-tech ways to avoid polarity problems

From: Fred Maxwell <rockbox_at_anti-spam.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:17:22 -0500

Chris Weaver wrote:

> It is a real shame that all coaxial power plugs couldn't be standard on
> polarity. The V2 doesn't even show voltage or polarity on
> the unit.
> IMHO the coaxial connectors should all be for low voltage DC, ground
> center, and even better would have been color coding for
> voltage!
> Who is to blame for this wall-wart mess?

This is what happens when you allow the "free market" to run wild rather
than having a government body set standards. We now have coaxial power
plugs that are 2.35mm x 0.7mm (OD x ID), 3mm x 1.1mm, 3.4mm x 1.3mm, 3.8mm x
1.1mm, 4.0mm x 1.7mm, 4.2mm x 0.7mm, 4.75 x 1.7mm, 5mm x 1.5mm, 5mm x 2.1mm,
5mm x 2.5mm, 5.5mm x 2.1mm, 5.5mm x 2.5mm, 5.5mm x 2.8mm, 5.5mm x 3.3mm,
6.3mm x 3mm, and probably more. Each of these plugs can be AC or DC at any
voltage. If they are DC, the polarity can be either way, with negative on
the center pin or positive on the center pin.

Many right-wingers are violently opposed to the government regulating
anything, but imagine what it would be like if there were no government
standards for the AC power and the electrical connectors in your home.

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell