Subject: Re: voice UI, step 1 committed (talking menus)

Re: voice UI, step 1 committed (talking menus)

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:44:58 -0500

Glenn Ervin at Home wrote:

> Also, the voice, MSTTS Mary is quite clear, but I was wondering if you could
> use some AT&T recordings, especially the AT&T voice, Crystal.
> Crystal sounds quite lovely.
> I have always thought that although quite intelligible, Mary sounds like a
> bitch.

LOL - Mary, Mike and Sam are the only bit..., erm *voices* that are
readily accessible via the MS speech API (read "free" and easily
programmable). While the development work is still going on it's
probably easiest to just stick with them. If anything changes, it's easy
to update the voice clips quickly. Once things stabilize it'll be worth
looking into higher quality synthetic voices that may take longer to
generate. Or maybe we could hire someone with a really sultry voice to
read them for us? =)