Subject: Broken LCD :(

Broken LCD :(

From: Ryan Press <ryan+list_at_presslab.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:03:15 -0800 (PST)

Well my two-month-old recorder 2.0 from Amazon died the other day. More
specifically the unit powers up but the LCD does not show anything.
Sometimes I can get it to display vertical bars for a moment. It still
plays whatever was in my playlist just fine.

One thing I tried was to change the contrast as in the FAQ. I have a
pretty new version from the CVS and I'm not sure if the FAQ button
sequence applies to the later versions. Can someone confirm this?

So I've decided to keep it as it still makes a nifty USB 2 hard drive. I
was wondering if anyone on the list might have a recorder with a good LCD
but a broken something-else that I could buy. Also I've read in the
archives something about TalkBox - will this really be feasible to use
with a dead LCD?

I've seen in the archives also some talk of a replacement LCD supplier in
the UK. Not positive if it would fix the problem, and it seemed a little
pricey. I'm in the US so shipping and payment would be a hassle.

Ryan