Subject: Re: voice build change?

Re: voice build change?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:48:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, [IDC]Dragon wrote:

> It's very beneficial for the voice code to have one set of IDs, not two. I
> was thinking about assigning negative IDs to the voice-only ones. So they
> could appear in the lang.h enum, but not in the lang.c array.

Since we access language strings with "array[index]" everything that makes us
increase the index without actually storing a useful string there is wasteful.

I don't see how we can have them in the same array without wasting strings.

> I need something that can grow in 2 directions, such that an older voicefile
> with newer software does not get all entries shifted. (That would make it
> really difficult to use ;-)

It won't get shifted unless you remove voice entries, and you mustn't remove
entries without chaning the voice file number, in the exact same manner the
binary languages work. You don't remove language ids either.

> >genlang checks the 'desc' field in the .lang file for the magic string
> 'spoken
> >only' to detect voice-only strings.
>
> Uh, why that? Spoken-only are those which have an empty "regular" text
> field.

No. Empty text fields in the .lang file is how we deprecate ordinary language
strings. We can't assume that deprecated strings should be spoken! ;-)

I chose the 'spoken only' string since you had already used that on all
strings that are spoken only and I didn't want to add any extra control-option
to the file.