Subject: Re: Successful flash of V2 recorder and accessibility of flashing process.

Re: Successful flash of V2 recorder and accessibility of flashing process.

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:47:26 -0500

Aman Singer wrote:

> Since flashing the two images need not be done often, I don't know
> how vital it would be to get that talking, and understand it would be
> technically difficult. However, I wonder if it would be possible to have
> some way of flashing the second image only through the UCL file? The only
> problem I found with that was finding the UCL file in the rockbox directory.
> Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if either file names could be spelled,
> or the UCL file could always be file x in a particular .rockbox directory.
> For example, if the file were called zzrockbox.ucl, or something like that,
> so it would always be the last file in a .rockbox folder, finding it to
> flash with would be a snap. The same would apply if it were called
> !rockbox.ucl. Does anyone have opinions on this?

If the .ucl file were placed in its own folder - by itself - and given a
suitable sound clip, you could use existing talkbox features to identify
it. The first flash operation would still require help, but then all
updates could be performed with only audible cues. We'll have to give
Linus, Joerg, and the crew a while to think about it, but I'm sure
they'll come up with some solution that'll work fine for everybody.