Subject: Random Ideas

Random Ideas

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 12:52:44 +0100

Just another random idea that sprung to mind the other night whilst
thinking about games for the blind... It came from playing Space Channel 5
(essentially "simon" with rotoscoped graphics.)

As with most games it has constant music with overlayed sound effects.

While wondering the options, I hallucinated that an MP3 could be built on
the fly from pre-existing MP3 clips, but I have not been able find much at
all on the structure of an MP3 packet structure, only the header format.

Does anybody know if the channel data for an MP3 is held as seperate
streams at a packet or sub-packet level?

If so, the music could play on the left-channel, the sound effects could be
inserted in to the right-channel on-the-fly. Drop the player into mono,
and you will effectively down-mix the two channels.

BC