Subject: Re: french voice updated

Re: french voice updated

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:14:30 +0200 (MEST)

> I have updated the french voice file.

Thanks!

> Actually, it now uses IBM Viavoice Outloud for the voice, I really
> prefer it, at least it pronounces all the stuff the same.

I don't know this program, so I can't comment on the input it needs.

> it was a lot of work to do because I had to create a seperate test
> file with the name of each ID in francais.lang to a text file
> id_xxx.txt such as voice_one.txt with the number 1 on it only etc.
>
> I'm pretty sure a cmd script could have done it automatically from the
> .lang file but I'm not a batch expert.

I have a "lang2textaloud" program in my webspace to make a TextAloud input
file. This is my "older style" of generating these, and still my fallback
for SAPI4 voices (like the only german one I have). The newer program
"lang2wav" does directly generate a bunch of wav files, using the configured
default SAPI5 voice. No need for scripting then. (Well, I use a cmd file
afterwards for the batch encoding.)

> btw... where can I find the latest version of the english.lang file?

Always in cvs. You can do a read-only access to Sourceforge, or simple
download a source tarball from the daily build page.

> I wrote Jörg but I guess he's maybe in vacation or he's busy doing
> something else.

I think I answered you...
You're right, I have been on a short trip the last 2 days.

> btw....
> I don't know how to represent accented characters for the spelling in
> the francais.lang file.

Ah, you meant the spelling when asking for accents, now I understand. This
is not possible because the code only spells A-Z and numbers. You can't
simply introduce new voice IDs in the language file, Rockbox has to use
those, too. I don't want to localize the code itself, so this is currently
inresolved. (Like the number composition.)

Can you submit your francais.lang file as a patch, so you changes can go
into the official version?

Thanks,
Jörg

--