Subject: "Review" feature proposal

"Review" feature proposal

From: David H. Straayer <mail_at_dhstraayer.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:14:35 -0700

I would like to spec out a "review" feature. If nobody wants to implement
it, I'll download the development suite and give it a try myself.

It's been a couple of years since I've coded C, but I've done it.

Here is my notion of the "review" feature:

A new parameter "Review" is added to the system. The user interface to see
and modify it is in either "Bookmark" or "General Settings". It is labeled
"Review time (seconds)". The default value is 0.0, and we design all
behavior so that, if it is left at the default value, things work exactly as
they did before the feature was added.

If the value is non-zero:

  Whenever we set the "resume" point, we set it to "Current point - review
time" That means that the next time the user starts playing,
  it will "review" that many seconds of material. If the value is defaulted
to 0.0, the current behavior is unchanged. If the current playing
  position is fewer seconds into the current file than "review", then either
A, just set the resume point to the beginning of the current file, or
 (preferably) B, we recurse back through the playlist to a point "review"
seconds prior to the current playing position. "B" is a bit harder
 to code, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I'd prefer it if I were coding
it myself, but I might initially implement the easier "A" alternative and
 release the more correct behavior "B" in a subsequent release.

 Whenever we set a bookmark, we set it exactly as with the "resume" point -
current location - review time.

 Whenever we encounter a "<-" left button while playing (and review time
<>0) , we jump back "review time" seconds.
 If we receive a subsequent "<-" within some appropriate time threshold, we
jump back to the beginning of the current file.
 Subsequent "<-" buttons within the time threshold will step back files,
just as they do now.

I'd like feedback on this proposal. If somebody jumps up and volunteers
to implement it great. If not, sigh, I dust off the old C coding
skills and do it myself. Suggestions about where to look in the source
would of course be appreciated.

David H. Straayer
Unofficial MP3/CD Audiobook Gadfly