Subject: Re: AJB wake up in car application

Re: AJB wake up in car application

From: Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:23:46 +0200 (MEST)

> Well, I have no possibility to flash my AJB and I even don't want to.
> Even so I tried making that mod, w/o any effect at all.

If you don't flash your box, you have no chance to get it running by simply
switching on power. The original Archos firmware will always hang at the
charging screen and there's no possiblity for Rockbox to change that because
it hasn't been loaded yet.

You'll either have to flash your box and change the Rockbox code or you'll
be stuck with the HW solution.

> At the end some words about the HW solution with power pulse:
>
> - I did not find anybody, who could explain how it works exactly.
> - I was never able to reach any result with my AJB Studio player.
> - Some guys were commenting that they hit the criteria by luck while
> switching on car ignition.
>
> => I still do have the opinion, that that HW solution isnt't very well,
> because it's (maybe) not working at all, or not working 100%-ly and needs
> aditional HW to work in the car (some HW device creating that power pulse)

Your jukebox will power on as soon as it gets power from the DC IN jack.
Then the Archos firmware starts and tries to detect, whether there is power
connected or not, in order to decide if it has to go to the charging screen
or to the directory browser. You have to remove the power again between
these two events.
It's easily done by hand (just to understand how it works): switch your
jukebox off, then insert the power plug, as soon as the green light goes on
remove the power plug again. That's it.
If you want to do it automatically, you'll have to find the appropriate
pulse length.

IIRC, there were some schematics of a very simple circuit somewhere here in
the mailing list or in the archosjukebox6000 yahoo group.

Andreas