Subject: Re: Klondike/Othelo

Re: Klondike/Othelo

From: David Litchman <Davel23_at_rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:19:59 -0400

At 05:43 PM 4/29/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>I have been told the missing attachment was my fault (and not, as I
>suspected, stripped by the mail server) so hopefully it is attached this
>time :)
>
>We can JUST ABOUT (8*14=112) get 8 cards across the screen - it would look
>a little packed, but it should be possible.
>
>If you're into solitaire games you might enjoy this link:
>http://www.alexsol.com/windows/about.shtml
>
>Othelo, yes I really should get around to fixing that... There's been a
>whole load of political malarky going on off-list recently which has kinda
>damped my whole enthusiasm thing - I suppose the logical argument is that
>I should not let politics intefere with pride ;)
>
>Did you particularly want it [pass] as an option, or would it be
>acceptable for me to just fix it to conform to the ruleset used by
>everybody in the world except me-and-my-mate-when-we-were-kids?

Either way is fine with me, I mean, I wouldn't want you to have to change
it to a way that you as the author don't enjoy playing! But whatever's
easiest for you. I've got zero programming skill, so I figure I can't be
choosy!

>By the way - how good have you found the AI players to be - It would be
>nice to have someone who can actually play to pass comment :)

They're not the toughest I've ever played against, but they're pretty
good. I can beat C-3 around 9 times out of ten, but I'm a pretty
experienced player. A more advanced mode would be a welcome addition, but
I still have fun playing C-3. In fact, sometimes the easier modes pose
more of a challenge since they will make unexpected moves while C-3 tends
to follow its algorithm pretty strictly, and is more predictable.

Oh, and one other suggestion I'd like to make, how about an option to force
the computer to make the first move? I know you can change from H-0 C-3 to
C-3 H-0, but then I have to get my head around playing as white, and it
messes me up. The game can change radically depending on who makes the
first move, it'd be nice to have the option to change up now and then.

But in any event, even if none of these changes ever appear, I still have a
lot of fun with the existing version. Thanks for writing it!