Subject: Help please, from newbie developer

Help please, from newbie developer

From: David H. Straayer <mail_at_dhstraayer.com>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 19:59:28 -0700

OK, I've decided to bite the bullet and start trying to
implement my ideas for "review" and timed recording.

I'm trying to get to the point where I can do my first build,
and have run into a couple of small glitches.

Let me first say that Roland's page at
http://rockbox.my-vserver.de/win32-sdk.html is very good. I ran
through steps 1-7 without any problems, and have a fine bunch of
directories; got to my BASH prompt OK.

Step 8, getting the source, was the first sign of trouble. I'm
pretty sure that my firewall is getting in the way, I'm getting
timeout errors from CVS. I'm not sure what ports to open up in
my firewall, so I decided to punt and download
rockbox-2.2.tar.gz, which I did. But I'm not sure how to unpack
it, as bzip2 doesn't seem to like the extension .gz.

Also, I seem to have a Rockbox directory as C:\Cygwin\rockbox,
with a lot of subdirectories, and another as
C:\Cygwin\home\rockbox, with just a .cvspass file in it.

I have used a lot of different development systems under a lot
of different operating systems over the decades, but not much
under Unix, and no Unix lately. So I'm a little rusty on Unix's
ever-so-intuitive commands :-)

I suspect that I'm going to have to figure out the IRC stuff and
get on that channel.

Any suggestions?

While waiting to see if any kind soul responds to this post,
I'll follow a few links and try to see if I can't get this IRC
thingy up on my machine.

David H. Straayer
916.729.4954
mail_at_dhstraayer.com