Subject: Re: Video Underruns (RVF)

Re: Video Underruns (RVF)

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 17:36:17 +0200 (MEST)

> Whenever the disc spins up to load, you get an underrun resulting in
> glitches in the playback (video skips forward and sound stays),
> this means the video and the audio are not sincronised anymore =>
> Irritating

Are you sure these are underruns? If so, that is reported in a debug screen
after playing. Was it audio or video underrun?

After an underrun, the player seeks againto the last location, syncing audio
and video again. So it should not run apart.

The behaviour of the player is not the most intelligent when it comes to
disk spinup. We don't want it too early, to give the disk at least some
rest, but definitely not to late. This advance is currently hard-coded. If
you can compile, you can change the constant SPINUP, currently 3.3 seconds.
The better way would be to make it smart, start with a very conservative
value, then measure the real speedup and adjust.

You can set the disk to no poweroff (which should be the default), under
General Settings -> System -> Disk -> Disk Powereroff, at least for recorder
models. If the disk is physically powered off, it takes longer to spin up.
But this saves energy.

Jörg