Subject: My jukebox

My jukebox

From: Lyman Green <daerid_at_io.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 10:36:44 -0400 (EDT)

So back when I first got my Jukebox Recorder unit I immediately installed
Rockbox on the unit and copied a bunch of stuff to it. I used it quite
extensively, and loved it even though periodically I was getting a number
of "skips" in MP3 tracks. It didn't matter what settings I changed. I
posted here about it, and Linus asked me to check out what the tracks
sounded like on a PC (no skips) and with the Archos firmware instead of
Rockbox. I finally got around to switching back to the Archos firmware
and listening to the tracks. What was really weird was that I didn't hear
the same skips with the Archos software. So I was thinking - hm, Rockbox
is causing an issue. I reverted back to Rockbox after listening to a few
problemmatic tracks under the Archose software, and here's the punchline:
Ever since using the Archos software for about an hour or so, Rockbox has
been flawless. Tracks that used to skip no longer skip. I have listened
to the entire album that used to skip repeatedly, and there are no skips.
It was like I needed to actually boot once to Archos' software to fix
whatever was wrong (I never had actually even booted once to Archos'
software).

Anyway, I just thought I'd post a message of appreciation - I LOVE my
recorder (who wouldn't when it cost me a total of $105 from Amazon, my $50
rebate FINALLY arrived) and the Rockbox software just makes it kick ass.

I have not yet "flashed" my recorder with Rockbox, I think right now I'm
happy with turn-on and turn-off times.

In fact, having the recorder and rockbox has made me clean up my MP3
directories - I got the MP3Tag program so that I could properly tag and
sort my MP3's so they'd play on the recorder in the correct order and
display full info on the song.

My only regret is that Archos didn't ship ANY kind of info on a belt
pouch/carrying case for the unit. Does anyone know of a 3rd party product
that works well? Preferably available on the web? Archos has no
information I could find on this kind of thing for the recorders.

Lyman Green