Subject: Re: external commands

Re: external commands

From: Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:59:34 +0200

sophana wrote:
> I did not implement the inquiry this way.
> What I did is a generic poll inquiry, and the rockbox decides if it has
> something new to transmit.
> so the response message contains a haeder indicating what is the type of
> update.
> there is also a no update response message.

I like the way Jörg defined the inquiry. If Rockbox has to decide if
there's something new to transmit, Rockbox must be aware of the features
of the remote control. Some car units can display text, some only time
information.

> As my pic is written in assembly language, I would like to put most of
> the intelligence into the rockbox side.

There's not much intelligence needed, in fact it's more difficult to
parse a "here's the updated status"-packet with variable content than
sending out several inquiries and getting back exactly the information
you wanted.

> it might be useful to implement standard button codes also like 'ON'

could be useful for those who want to map the whole user interface, yes

Andreas