Subject: Re: Safely removing JB from Windows

Re: Safely removing JB from Windows

From: Christi Scarborough <christi_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:15:58 +0100

Dejonghe, Manuel wrote:

> yes, I already checked that. I even tried to figure out with some tools like HandleEX and filemon if there is another process having a peek on that drive, which was not the case.
> Ok, just wanted to tell how I unplug it safely if the legal procedure fails.

If you're feeling paranoid, I believe there is a setting in the drive
properties where you can tell windows to "optimise my drive for safe
removal" (i.e. turn off write caching). (Select the jukebox HD from the
'Hardware' tab on the 'Properties' window for the drive, and then press
the 'Properties' button and select the "Policies" tab - gotta love that
intuitive Windows interface, natch?)

Of course, you may want to set it back to 'Optimise for performance' if
you're copying lots of files to the drive, since there will be a
performance hit associated with disabling write caching. For large
amounts of data (like MP3s) however, I'd expect the (Windows) cache to
spend most of its time full anyway, so it may not be that great. Does
anyone fancy running a disk benchmark against the JB in both modes to
see what the practical effects are? I'd do it myself, but I'm
Jukeboxless at the moment.

Christi