Subject: Re: help with headphone jack

Re: help with headphone jack

From: Stephen Noftall <stephenn_at_lcsaudio.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 05:09:49 -0700

> Are you sure the problem was inside the jack?
> generally, in most cases, you simply need to resolder the jack to the
> board, because the old solder is generally cracked due to mechanical
> constraints.

In my case it was :-(. The jack was broken internally, causing the middle
contact (left) to not contact.

The version I had (FM with internal lithium battery) had a modification on
the contacts of the jack. It looked like for the FM attenna. The 2 contacts
9left & right) were not soldered to the board, but soldered directly to a
secondary small PCB. This small PCB had a minature inductor and a few caps.
Very strange! The small PCB was only held up by its contact with the jack's
pins. It might have been that the contact to the minature PCB was cracked,
but it was hard to get the soldering iron in there. I thought it was best to
just replace the whole jack section.

The best thing to do is open up the case and check it out, see if you can
see anything. With the headphone plug attached, try to wiggle it around
while looking at the contacts. You can usually see if it is a cold solder
joint or not (cracked). If so, then just re-solder it, should be ok.

SN