Subject: RE: 5400rpm toshiba drive in JBR

RE: 5400rpm toshiba drive in JBR

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 12:37:35 +0100

I tried this drive again (MK6022GAX) at the weekend, and again it didn't
work.

The drive spins up, but using RockBox in ROM ver 2.2 I get the error...

ATA error: -11

then pressing ON to debug I get...

PADR: A27F
PBDR: BDBF
<snip>
Batt: 5.39V - 1%
ATA: slave, 0x0

This is the exact same error I get when I have no HDD attached!

I also get a register error using the original archos firmware 1.28.

I can switch on the JBR using the AC adaptor into original firmware to get
to the battery charging screen. Then if I press ON RockBox starts and I get
a different error...

ATA error: -31
PADR: 337F
PBDR: FFBF
<snip>
ATA: master, 0x200

Interestingly, the drive also fails to be recognised in my other laptop
(toshiba portege 3440). It spins up in that too but the BIOS doesn't detect
any HDD attached, which is annoying since they are both toshiba products!
So only my main laptop (compac evo n800w) can recognise the drive, which is
the drive the laptop shipped with.

So has anyone got any ideas or further tests they want me to do before this
drive gets "blacklisted" forever?

Stu.