Subject: Re: Harddisk OK, but doesn't start spinning

Re: Harddisk OK, but doesn't start spinning

From: Markus Grebenstein <sassodimorte_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 18:46:56 +0200

sophana schrieb:

> the processor does spin the drive by software (of course), but I don't
> know the details.

The problem is that I don't know wether there must be a (measurable)
voltage when the processor already detected a harddisk error or not. If
not I need a scope to see wether the processor gives a short peak to
spin up the drive or not because my multimeter might be to slow. But I
think your right and the powersupply for the HD is the problem. I'll
have another look at the schematics at night.

> I don't know your jukebox model, but look at
> http://rockbox.haxx.se/docs/ports.html, there are ATA power control
> signals. I don't know what is behind... maybe there is a power
> transistor which fails in your case.

It is a JBS20 I'll have a look at itwith a collegue tomorrow. I'll let
you know if we found anything

> don't forget there is a schematic
> http://rockbox.haxx.se/schematics/rec_main.pdf

I already looked at it but it didn't help me to much until know (I'm not
to much into electronics =-( )

> Do you know the active levels of the signals you measured?

Not yet. You're thinking of a lost ground connection?

> The ata technical spec are on the net. You might look there also?

I already did to know where to measure at the pins. But until now I
didn't find anything about wether the motor or the logic should be
powered up all the time (I think the motor mustn't because otherwise the
hd would turn all day long if there's no switching done on the pcb of
the harddisk)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,

Markus