Subject: Re: Need help with UART boot

Re: Need help with UART boot

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:00:55 +0200 (MEST)

> I tried to upgrade my non-flashable jukebox (recorder 20) with a new flash
> chip today,

Whoo, what a brave guy! Where did you get a chip?

> but I need some help with [IDC]Dragon's uart_boot tool.

I'll try.

> b) 1. jukebox off, UART boot mod disabled (original state)
> 2. uart_boot -p COM1 -r -a -b
> 3. power-on jukebox
> Result: uart_boot displays some menu (like [IDC]Dragon described it in
> his early posts about the UART boot mod) and complains that it can't find
> minimon_v2.bin

I could give you the _v2 file, but it's pointless. I was on a wrong path
when I did the -a option, thought that archos boot menu is in ROM, but it's
in the flash, prone to be overwritten anyway.
Nevertheless I managed to use that protocol to start arbitrary code (my
minimon in another flavour).

> c) 1. UART boot mod enabled
> 2. power-on jukebox
> 3. uart_boot -p COM1 -r -b
> Result: LED is flashing as expected

Yes, the way to use it in your case.

> I thought it worked
> and started soldering in the flash chip. Afterwards I tried flashing the
> new chip with
>
> uart_boot -p COM1 -r -f firmware_rec.bin

Don't forget to patch in your h/w mask, 2 bytes at offset 0xFC and 0xFD,
else you may get some funny behaviour.

> and it looked as if it was successful, but it wasn't. If I dump the
> contents
> of the flash, I get something completely different.

Reading with uart_boot? This should give you the true content. Different
than what? The flashed firmware_rec.bin?

> But, the uart_boot seems
> to work, since flashing the led works, the harddisk-shutdown works and the
> readout of the flash id works as well (I get 0xBF, 0xD6 with the new chip)

Archos/Rockbox doesn't work?
You need to release the LCD lines for a normal start.

Jörg