Subject: flash chip source

flash chip source

From: Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 19:00:01 +0200

Those who followed my other messages to [IDC]Dragon already know it, but
I wanted to post it seperate for all the others:

I have successfully upgraded my non-flashable recorder and replaced the
SST 37VF020 with the flashable SST 39VF020. The flash chip is somehow
difficult to obtain, but I found one small shop in UK which sells it.

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/forsale.html

The chips sold there are preprogrammed and labled, but haven't been
soldered in yet. Since you have to reprogramm it anyway (externally or
using the uart boot mod) this doesn't matter. I ordered two and payed 8
British pounds, including shipping to Germany.

One warning: I did the 8MB-mod as well and consider myself experienced
in soldering, but I had a horrible time replacing the flash chip. Look
at http://rockbox.haxx.se/internals/rec_main_top.jpg and see how tiny
the pins and the traces below are!

Andreas