Subject: Re: Legal Allegations Quelled (was: making plugins work)

Re: Legal Allegations Quelled (was: making plugins work)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:28:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, BlueChip wrote:

> I'm starting to grow weary over the false allegations of "GPL license
> violation" - I can't wait to read what mud you sling next - and as you're
> making it up as you go along now, it could be ANYthing :)

I know about that URL, I read it. I used it when we discussed what changes you
want, you know when we ended up agreeing that you need to change a bunch of
things? That URL is not the source and it is not even a patch. It is however a
text about what changes you want(ed) done.

> I thought we agreed yesterday on how to implement generic changes which
> would enable Audio_3587 to run on native Rockbox whilst at the same time
> ensuring those same changes are of wider benefit to all - such as generic
> speech support for plugins. If there is anything you feel was not entirely
> resolved and you believe I can help, please ask :)

That is exactly what I'm saying. There are several changes we need to get made
differently than what you've suggested. Thus, even if you would provide your
changes as diffs they don't offer the functionality we want to add. Things
like language and speach supports for plugins are perfect examples. Others
include how you invoke a plugin explicitly from firmware code.

Once we have figured out all those issues and worked in code that offers that
functionality, then your plugin should be able to use all those.

A previous mail in this thread could give the impression that "the core guys"
are "in the way" from letting this plugin run as-is on a plain original
Rockbox by anything else than pure technical merits. I was trying to say that
we are not "in the way" for good source code and good solutions to problems.

I want speach support for plugins. I want language support for plugins. I want
MAS-access for plugins. I want "run-this-plugin-on-boot" support.

We just need to discuss how to add this, then add it.

This is what I think has to be done to make those "doors fly open".

I was only waiting for your personal attacks to start again to make me regret
breaking my promise in the past.