Subject: What happened to the SDK for Dadio? (hipzip hacking anyone?)

What happened to the SDK for Dadio? (hipzip hacking anyone?)

From: stuart <stuart_at_xnet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:49:32 -0500

Hi...

First off, thanks for the web site resource - don't know where I would
have gotten the specifications for the ISD200 ATA/USB chip otherwise.

Off to some fun stuff...

When I realized the HipZip used the same ATA/USB controller as the
RockBox I started wondering if the HipZip (a "defunked" mp3 player -
mostly because it had limited removable storage **) could control large
compact flash cards or even a hard drive.

 From inspection of the circuit... it looks like it could. But there
is always the problem that the embedded firmware (Dadio, a Linux
derivative I believe) is hard coded at 40MBytes.

So I am looking, after finding some internet chatter about it, for the
Dadio SDK. So far it looks like it was talked about around March of
2000 but never released.

The Dadio / Linux firmware was supposed to be used on the HipZip and the
I-Jam mp3 players. I don't know if either of these are still on the
market. One encouraging note, the I-Jam players appear to use compact
flash cards!

                ...thanks

**HipZip players used a small (about a inch wide) 40MByte removable
disk. At $10 each, it wasn't long until flash cards passed them up in
terms of Bytes per dollars. Add to that, I have personally destroyed at
least 3 disks of my own (i.e. Don't stare at them to long or they will
fall apart).