Subject: RE: A thought on the voice UI

RE: A thought on the voice UI

From: rinty <rinty_at_freeuk.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:29:28 +0100

I get the point re disk space Rick, but for my money it would be worth
it.

I realise that these calculations are a bit randomised and rough, but
I think this one makes the point and is fairly accurate.

OK, a 2 second long file name, recorded at 128KBPS 44 x sampling
stereo. Let's assume 10000 filenames, 20000 seconds:165 minutes. at
1MB per minute, approx 165MB. Now cut the sampling rate in half, make
the filenames mono, and reduce the bit rate to 56KBPS, and you've
divided the amount used by a factor of roughly 8. Your 165MB goes
down to 20MB. I've probably over estimated the number of filenames,
and if someone wants to do a more scientific calculation of the disk
space that would be used, I'm fine with that. Note that most
synthetic voices are only 16X sampling and 32KBPS at most, so you
could have the script generate filenames of that quality, as higher
would be pointless. You're probably then looking at 10MB, the length
of 3 or 4 songs recorded at normal rates. I'd happily sacrifice that,
but I wouldn't have the first idea how to start writing script files.

Rob

---