Subject: Re: A higher quality voicefont?

Re: A higher quality voicefont?

From: Christi Alice Scarborough <christi_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:51:54 +0100

sophana wrote:

> It is difficult to choose a mic (or a speaker) without listening to it.
> What is the price of that headset?

35 - 65 pounds, which seems to depend on the quality of the headphones.
  The mic seems to be identical across the range.

> Have you ever tried a simple dynamic mic like the one used on stage or
> in karaoke? (a preamp is needed)

I don't have a preamp, unfortunately. I do have a dynamic mike though.
  The problem would be getting the output close enough to the computer
to record without picking up ambient computer noise.

> there are also some SM58 like mic not so expensive, but you really need
> to listen to it before buying...

A pre-amp box would cost about 20 pounds, which would be less than a new
mic, but I'm concerned that the same hiss will be present. Certainly
plugging the mic direct into line in and normalising post recording
didn't seem to produce a cleaner sample.

Christi