Subject: RE: sleep timer

RE: sleep timer

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:17:48 +0100

> Nevertheless I prefer a clean shut-down, because software
> (especially FAT32!) does not know anything like
> "auto-parking". So what might be a problem is a
> power-off while writing/deleting/renaming.
>
> Greetings...
>
> +++ Oliver

I looked into this ages ago when the ATA sleep/ATA poweroff code was being
added. When you cut power to the drive while it is still spinning the heads
do park themselves so that isn't the problem. The problem is that the
datasheets of various drives said that a drive will fail after this is done
20,000 times (on average). So doing anything that WILL cause a drive to
fail should definitely be avoided.

Stu.