Subject: Re: Announcement: Rockbox installer for Windows

Re: Announcement: Rockbox installer for Windows

From: Christi Alice Scarborough <christi_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:35:01 +0100

BlueChip wrote:

> # The icon could do with a little trimming
> (Feel free to nick the icon roland made for the DevKit)

That *is* the icon from the Devkit. ;)

> # I would rather see a list of:
> Drive: [Label] Drive-Size Free-Space
> instead of "E:\ [browse]"
> Maybe "if you cannot see your jukebox drive connect it now and press refresh
> ...or better still have a monitoring thread running

Would be nice, but it's not supported by InnoSetup. I went for the easy
option.

> # You could check for which drive it is by detecting
> a) if it is removable (that will round it down pretty quick)
> b) what driver it is using, iirc we are isd-200 and isd-300
> c) if an existing .mod or .ajz file is in root

I think that would involve rather more acquaintance with Windows
programming than I'm willing to suffer.

> # Model selection
> Would rather a radio-button thing than a list box
> How about little pictures of the units next to the radio buttons
> (again you can find small versions of these on my site,
> or big ones on the rockbox site)

Me too, actually. But InnoSetup doesn't give you the choice,
unfortunately. It might be possible to sling together a bit of custom
Pascal code to provide such a dialogue (that's how I make sure that
you're in the root of a drive before installing) but it's probably more
effort than it's worth.

> # Model detection
> a) well, the driver id will give you some idea

Probably not doable without writing custom Windows code, sadly.

> b) checking the files present on the drive would
> be good for upgrades

I could probably tag each install in some way, but there's no easy way
to pick a default option, I'm afraid.

Still, if you'd like to implement these things, I'll happily send you
the config file and let you hack away at it. ;)

Christi