Subject: Very low record levels using external mic

Very low record levels using external mic

From: Erik Owens <erikowens_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:31:20 -0500

Hi everyone,

This should be an easy question for experts to answer. I'm running
Rockbox 2.2 (Flash) in my FM Recorder 20, and I have a Sony ECM-719
electret condenser stereo mic (a photo is here:
http://www.ofamily.net/ecm719.jpg and attached). The mic has a battery
and on/off switch, which I guess means it has a pre-amp; I have it
plugged into the Line In jack, and I have Archos set to use "line in"
as the recording source.

Here's my problem: I cannot get a high enough recording level without
tons of white noise (I mean "hissing") in the background. I've tested
the mic on a different device and the volume levels are fine. On the
Archos, however, even turning the gain up to 18 doesn't help much. (My
voice recording is still faint, but the hissing noice is much
lounder.) Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks so much for any help.

Erik