Subject: Re: "R" prize

Re: "R" prize

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 03:15:33 +0100

At 02:59 04/07/04, you wrote:
>--- Glenn Ervin at Home <GlennErvin_at_cableone.net> wrote:
> > I think some of us would contribute to the prize money if the TalkBox
> > feature was included so the Blind can also go to the store and get an
> > off-the-shelf product that works for us.
> > Heck, if this was written as a requirement, maybe a consumer group of the
> > Blind would contribute to the prize money too.
>
>i agree with john, core mp3 player functions should come first. once
>there's an open platform
>things like voice support and games will soon follow. theres no reason
>blind consumer groups
>couldn't append a voice requirement clause for their prize money. that way
>the initial firmware
>could be written and finished while there is still incentive to make it
>accessable.
>
>-scott

But if you're gonna do this right, KEEP IT IN MIND FROM THE START.

I think a pre-cursor to actually achieving this a spec. Yes, I do realise
how academic and poncey that sounds, but I promise you that a good spec
will produce a far better end product.

Although I think that this is a great place to find talent, I'm not sure if
it's the place to discuss the technical details.

Perhaps someone would like to start a yahoo group (or whatever) for a
discussion of this nature?
Much would be platform dependant, but the general structure almost *must*
be ignorant of that fact - so I might also consider getting a tech spec
together and forget the platform until that is done?

And althought I do not want to question the cya nature of the rules, which
I understand to be necessary. I do wonder how likely it is that those
guidelines could be fully appreciated without room for doubt, debate or
differences of understanding.

For example, I possess the skill-set required to achieve such, but could
not offer things like server space for cvs etc. ...so it becomes a team
exercise, and I'm in for a meal out in exchange for 6months/1year of my
free time ...at which level this has to be for the love of it, not for money.

Sounds like fun though - money or no.

BC