Subject: Re: intelligent shutdown?

Re: intelligent shutdown?

From: Ronald Teune <RTWolf_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:59:20 +0200 (MEST)

So... it's a bad idea to turn the unit off while spinning??
I was doing this all the time...
Isn't the click (or scream of death, whatever) just a safety mechanism that
can't hurt the hd? (i once opened a hard drive, and saw some magnet which
pulled the heads straight to parking position, while drive turned 1-2 times,
when it was powered off at once)

> > Hm... perhaps not a bad idea. We have perhaps one second from the
> button
> > press to the shutoff. Has anybody tried if the parking mechanism of the
> > heads is fast enough to do it in this short time?
>
> That be so cool! So one can just turn it off, without care if it's
> spinning.
> But i have to say: Rockbox is so cool anyway! :-)
>
> Regards from Hamburg,
> Marc

Groeten,
    Ronald Teune _at_School
    Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have.