Subject: Test - Rockbox running directly from flash rom (ROMbox)

Test - Rockbox running directly from flash rom (ROMbox)

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:32:29 +0200

Hello all,

I just did some more work in getting Rockbox running directly
from flash, leaving more ram for the mp3 buffer and therefore
probably improving battery runtime (still to be tested).
This development was started by Jörg.

As the major bugs are now squashed, I ask anyone who wants to
help finding remaining bugs to do so.

** Requirements: Archos Jukebox Recorder _V1_, flashed

(The Player/Studio isn't currently flashable, and for the V2/FM
Rombox won't fit in the remaining ROM space. This will most
likely change if this test proves that running from rom is
really useful)

** Procedure: (Recorder V1 ONLY!)

- Download & install a daily build of 2004-07-20 or later (or
  bleeding edge if you are impatient)
- Download http://arnold-j.bei.t-online.de/Rockbox/rombox-recorder.ucl
  and copy it to your box as well
- RoLo into the daily build.
- flash rombox-recorder.ucl
- Switch off the box and start it again
- Look into Info->Rockbox Info. It should show Buffer: 1.794 MB

Play around with it as you would do with ordinary rockbox, and
report if anything doesn't work as expected. (Expected means
like ordinary rockbox). The only exception is the flash plugin,
see below.

Do _not_ delete ajbrec.ajz. You'll need to RoLo into it if you
want to flash another .ucl later. The flash plugin hangs if
Rockbox is running from flash for obvious reasons.

If you want to do even more, you could do runtime tests,
comparing rombox runtimes with ordinary rockbox.

Regards, Jens