Subject: Re: Archos models that support rockbox?

Re: Archos models that support rockbox?

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:11:32 +0200 (MEST)

Hello Greg,

> New to this list and wondering if anyone can direct me as to how I can
> determine, prior to buying, what models of Archos players support the
> rockbox
> firmware with the speech (talking) feature. I heard that someone did
> this
> with the 340 model, yet that model isn't on the rockbox page - nothing
> but
> the 5000, 6000, Studio Recorder and v2 are listed.

The very first sentence of the Rockbox homepage says:
"Rockbox is an Open Source replacement firmware for the Archos Jukebox 5000,
6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder and Recorder V2 MP3 players."

That's it, unfortunately, no new and fancy models supported. You'll need
some luck in buying one, since they are all out of production. Some are
still in the shops, though.

The Player/Studio models are somewhat limited, have less buttons and a small
text LCD (the latter no obstacle for you), can't record. Those are not
available as new, unless some very old stock. Most likely you can find a V2
recorder.

The speech feature is available for all of them.

Jörg

--
+++ GMX DSL-Tarife 3 Monate gratis* +++ Nur bis 25.7.2004 +++
Bis 24.000 MB oder 300 Freistunden inkl. http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl