Subject: Update2: Test - Rockbox running directly from flash rom (ROMbox)

Update2: Test - Rockbox running directly from flash rom (ROMbox)

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:05:09 +0200

Hello all

>> ** Requirements:
>>
>> OR (NEW) Archos Jukebox Recorder _V2_, flashed

>> - Download the ROMbox version for your box
>> V1:
>> http://arnold-j.bei.t-online.de/Rockbox/rombox-recorder.ucl
>> V2: http://arnold-j.bei.t-online.de/Rockbox/rombox-v2.ucl

> Oops, sorry, the V2 version will not work. Jens, the V2 image
> starts 4KB later than the V1, meaning it won't fit. I forgot

With the latest size optimizations, Rombox now does really fit
for V2 Recorders. So I have compiled new versions of Rombox for
both V1 and V2 recorders. The usual instructions apply, repeated
below for your convenience. Nice to read that nobody had
problems so far (with V1 recorders).

Note to V2 users: The V2 version of Rombox is untested, and
compiled "blindly" based on the info stated by Jörg, so there is
a slight chance that Rombox won't boot on the v2. However, the
safety net (F1+On boot into Archos firmware) is there as usual.

** Requirements:

            Archos Jukebox Recorder _V1_, flashed
OR (REALLY) Archos Jukebox Recorder _V2_, flashed

(The Player/Studio isn't currently flashable, and for the
FM Rombox won't fit in the remaining ROM space. This will
most likely change if this test proves that running from rom
is really useful)

** Procedure: (Recorder V1 / V2 ONLY!)

- Download & install a daily build of 2004-07-25 or later (this
  is just to ensure that you have a version not too different
  from the ROMbox one)
- Download the ROMbox version for your box
  V1: http://arnold-j.bei.t-online.de/Rockbox/rombox-recorder.ucl
  V2: http://arnold-j.bei.t-online.de/Rockbox/rombox-v2.ucl
  and copy it to your box as well
- RoLo into the daily build.
- flash rombox-recorder.ucl (V1) or rombox-v2.ucl (V2)
  respectively
- If flashing went ok: switch off the box and start it again
- Look into Info->Rockbox Info. The buffer value should be
>1.790 MB (It reads 1.798 MB for me. I have the number of files
  per dir set to 300, and the maximum playlist size to 5000)

Play around with it as you would do with ordinary rockbox, and
report if anything doesn't work as expected. (Expected means
like ordinary rockbox). The only exception is the flash plugin,
see below.

Do _not_ delete ajbrec.ajz. You'll need to RoLo into it if you
want to flash another .ucl later, as you can't flash the ROM if
Rockbox is running from it. The flash plugin should tell you that
you are running from ROM and refuse to flash if you try that.

If you want to do even more, you could do runtime tests,
comparing rombox runtimes with ordinary rockbox. I'm especially
interested in runtime tests with a Recorder v2.

Regards, Jens