Subject: Re: AW: AW: Porting Rockbox to XCleff 800 / i.Beat 500

Re: AW: AW: Porting Rockbox to XCleff 800 / i.Beat 500

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:15:18 +0100

Tom,

I am happy to guide you through the steps you need to take, and IF i have
time, some of the process too. But realise that I don't own one of these
things so my usefulness (an I suppose interest) will be limited beyond a
certain point.

The first thing you need to do is write a program which will initialise all
the chips.
The init process will be in the manual for each chip.
I would suggest starting with something VERY simple - such as flashing an
LED somewhere
this will prove that your code is compiling and working as expected -
THEN start on your chip init code, one chip at a time.

Anything "memory-mapped" will be simpler than something sitting on a bus
somewhere.

If something unexpected occurs, realise that your code did it.
If you don't understand WHY your code did it, stop there and take time to
work out why -
this information is often invaluable later.

KEEP NOTES

KEEP NOTES

KEEP NOTES

When you can draw a dot on the screen, read the keys and access [any] data
from the hdd, you can open up the Rockbox code and start stealing it, one
chunk at a time.

Good luck,

BC