Subject: Dead drive, resurrection!!!
From: Abdul-Khaliq Nathekar (
Date: 2004-08-02

After getting the CF-IDE adapter working, I decided to find out what caused the hitachi drive to fail (stoped spinning).

I had no way of checking the controller board, so went straight for the platter and heads.

The head had not parked, and seemed to be stuck on the platter. After a little persuasion, the heads landed home, and the platter was free..

I've now managed to get all my files back , error-free. I feel a full format of the drive coming on, and a surface test... Just in case!

So, those with a similar fault, you may want to give it a go!!

You'll need a T5 Torx driver to get into the platter cavity.

Oh, remember to work in a dust-free environment, and blow out and small particals you find with an "air-only" aerosol can or a hair-dryer set to its cold setting, before closing the cover.

Good luck