Subject: Re: RB Directory listing order

Re: RB Directory listing order

From: Fred Maxwell <rockbox_at_anti-spam.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 10:36:00 -0400

Stuart Tedford wrote:

> Not if we are dealing with strings, which is what filenames are. This
> "natural sort order" is actually breaking a second standard (ASCII), as well
> as breaking the leading zero standard. Maybe you think 2 wrongs make a
> right, I don't.
>
> I didn't really want to start a flame session or anything (so I shouldn't
> have made the AOL comment, so sorry for any offence I caused), but I feel
> strongly that standards are usually there for a reason - i.e. because a lot
> of people think something is a good idea. So anything that breaks a
> standard should have a very good reason to do so, and I don't consider this
> to be one.

Stuart,

I agree with you completely. I have always used the 2-digit track
numbers (followed by a period, space, and the track name). This allows
the tracks to be sorted into order on any computer or MP3 player.
Creating a new sorting scheme for Rockbox would lead just encourage
people to name tracks incorrectly and then those same people would
wonder why the tracks sort differently on their PC, their solid-stat MP3
player, and their Archos/Rockbox.

Regards,
   Fred Maxwell

P.S. No, I don't think that it needs to be an option. We don't want
Rockbox to get like Microsoft Word where there are so many features that
testing and mastery become impractical.