Subject: Re: Dead drive, resurrection!!!

Re: Dead drive, resurrection!!!

From: (wrong string) ürgen Hestermann <juergen.hestermann_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:33:53 +0200

> > The head had not parked, and seemed to be stuck on the platter. After a
> > little persuasion, the heads landed home, and the platter was free..
> Stuck disks may get free if the drive is twisted with rapid acceleration
> aroud the spindle axis. If this doesn't help, you can try to slap the edge
> of the drive against something rigid, in a direction you suspect the heads
> to go outward.

Yes, I once had a PC where the head of the disk stuck on the platter
after *every* shutdown. On every startup I had to kick the pc which let
the head go free again. I expected that this rude treatment would damage
some parts one day. But I did this for years *daily* without any effect.

Of course, I was happy as the PC was old enough to retire. ;-)

Jürgen Hestermann.