Subject: Re: Batteries and Charging

Re: Batteries and Charging

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:24:15 +0100

Well, I finally decided to actually read the battery FAQ (took me over a year!)

>I think it drains to 80 (or 90)% and then charges again

"17. Charging starts if the battery level is below 85%."

But that was not the intention behind this post...

I know Rockbox is unable to report an accurate reading on start-up, but I
would like to propose that the old system was more helpful.

I often put my unit on charge just as I go to bed. But under the new
system ("battery=?") I have to wait a couple of mins before I can decide
whether it needs charging today.

Perhaps consideration could be given to displaying the approximation which
is available, but maybe flashing or inversed to express that it is JUST an
approximation?

"about 80%" or "about 20%" would be VERY helpful to me, and possibly others?
The former says "do not charge me tonight", the latter says "I'll die on
you tomorrow if you don't juice me up tonight"

With regard to the charging algorithm...

Once 100% has been hit, perhaps you could shut EVERYTHING off? Backlight,
MAS, etc.

This would reduce the power drain while waiting to be disconnected?

If the "check again every 30mins" algorithm was held in IRAM, then no RAM
access would be made either.

And rather than using the RTC to work out 30mins, as this time does not
need to be perfect, you could simply run a pre-timed loop (or work it out
in T-states), therefore you will not cause a constant drain by reading the RTC?

I think that's the best selection from my ideas, the ones of potential
benefit to the most.
Enjoy the good ones, ignore the crap ones ;)

BC