Subject: Re: mp3 cutting and pasting

Re: mp3 cutting and pasting

From: Johan Vromans <jvromans_at_squirrel.nl>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:01:48 +0200

Very predictably, "Fred Maxwell" <rockbox_at_anti-spam.org> writes:

> If it doesn't cost anything, then it is free.

As usual, you confuse free (gratis, as in beer) with free (libre, as
in speech).

Besides, do you really believe all those nice gratis tools do not cost
anything? About once or twice a month I have to reanimate Windows
systems from relatives and friends because those 'nice gratis tools'
apparently did something else than was intended. I'm not going to say
they did it on purpose. When several tools try to install themselves
somewhere deep in the system TCP/IP stack the system quickly becomes
instable. Other tools just do not want you to uninstall them.

When a PC is unusable when you need to write an urgent letter or
email, there's damage. Real damage.

> Are you going to honestly tell me that you read all of that source
> code prior to running it on your computer?

If I were to say "yes", you won't believe me anyway.
Fact is, I did study substantial parts of it, and I run customized
versions of OpenOffice.org and Mozilla on my system. And rockbox ;-).

What you seem to overlook is the power of open source communities.
It's not just me, it's thousands of people all over the planet that
study (and write) those big pieces of software. Together we have an
overview, and together we know what's going on. Together we have
control. That's because we all have the freedom (liberty) to do so.

Regards,
        Johan