Subject: Re: Automatic level control for recording

Re: Automatic level control for recording

From: Allen <ajf_at_midmaine.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:01:48 -0400

I can't speak for the developers, but as someone who uses the recording
feature
in a semi-professional capacity, I wouldn't want automatic level control.
It's
usually a poor compromise that leads to muddy sounding recordings.

With digital recording, you can set the gain so that the level stays
between -3db and -6db.
Then there's almost never a clipping problem and if you want to make it
hotter, add effects
to the recording later.

So if the developers did decide to implement it, I would need a way to
turn it off.