Subject: Re: firmware_rec.bin ?

Re: firmware_rec.bin ?

From: <deonarin_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:14:15 -0400

Yeah, the way I understand it, firmware_rec.bin contains:

[rolo][---firmware image #1---][---firmware image #2---]

(a simplification, I'm sure)

Most people keep the archos firmware in image #1, and a version of rockbox.ucl in #2.

So once you've flashed any version of firmware_rec.bin, you don't need to ever flash this again. You'd just be copying the same data in image #1 (most likely) and the new UCL into image #2.

It seems far quicker and safer to just flash the version of rockbox you want into image slot #2, (you do this using rockbox_flash.rock and the rockbox.ucl file) rather than spend additional time, complexity, risk, etc, to flash the whole ROM. If flashing the rockbox.ucl screws up, no big deal, just boot the archos firmware into rockbox and then reflash it. If the firmware_flash.bin fails, you might hose the unit or damage your backup. Seems like you'd need a pretty good reason to go through the extra trouble.

It also seems interesting to flash that second area blank, if updating the .bin file for every release is time consuming...

~Jonathan

"[IDC]Dragon" <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de> wrote:

>> Well, I know how to handle the daily UCL build ;-)
>> I was wondering about the permanent firmware, the file named
>> "firmware_rec.bin"
>> Just to know :-)
>
>Well, you could prepare your own, but the process is rather involved. Why
>would you want to do that?
>
>Actually, I'm close to kick out the second image (which is currently Rockbox
>2.2) of the firmware_xxx.bin files I supply. This way it would be
>independent of whatever rockbox version is currently cool. I'd need to
>distribute only the .bin files, need no particular Rockbox or plugins with
>it.
>
>Then the initial flashing would give you a half empty flash which behaves
>like the stock one (for a lack of the second, default firmware runs Archos
>firmware, which in turn loads a .ajz from disk), but you can ucl-flash
>whatever Rockbox you like to have in the second part.
>
>Jörg
>
>--
>NEU: WLAN-Router für 0,- EUR* - auch für DSL-Wechsler!
>GMX DSL = supergünstig & kabellos http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.